- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon flaked sea salt (or can use regular table salt)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (or water)
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture ½ cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into small circles and then press with hands (or with the bottom of a cup) into a disk shape. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are! Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To Ice: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and almond extract — until smooth.
- Using a spoon, smooth icing onto the top of each cookie and let set for 10 minutes, or until hardened. Store in the fridge, let come to room temperature when ready to serve.