Warm vanilla spiced chai sugar cookies that are rolled in a homemade chai spice blend. Dunk them in a chai latte for a comforting breakfast or snack.
Yields 20 cookies
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
- Scoop the dough into about 18 1-½" inch balls.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the chai spice.
- Roll the dough balls in the chai spice and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Slightly flatten the top of each cookie with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar.*
- Refrigerate the cookies for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the top of the cookies with extra chai spice right before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, removing the cookies just before the edges get brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then move them to a flat surface to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
*If you flatten the cookies after they chill, they get the lighter color «broken» edges look.