Six ingredients are all you need for this quick and easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe. Store-bought individual cakes make prep time a breeze.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cake and 1/3 cup sauce)
- 1 tablespoon calorie-free sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 pint)
- 6 spongecake dessert shells (5-ounce package)
Combine sweetener and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in extract. Cool completely.
Combine orange juice mixture and strawberries in a bowl; stir gently. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
To serve, spoon sauce over dessert shells.
Tip: This luscious sauce is also good spooned over no-sugar-added ice cream, angel food cake, or fat-free pound cake.